Romaine Salad with Garlic Dressing
This garlicky dressing is terrific simply tossed with romaine lettuce, but any sturdy lettuce you have on hand will do—particularly radicchio or escarole.
- 2 small heads garlic, separated into cloves
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 6 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- To make dressing: Bring unpeeled garlic cloves and broth to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook until the garlic is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon to a plate to cool for 2 minutes, reserving the cooking liquid. Add enough water to the cooking liquid to measure 1/4 cup.
- Squeeze the cooled garlic pulp out of the skins into a blender or food processor. Add the reserved cooking liquid, vinegar, oil, mustard and the 2 anchovies; process or blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make salad: Combine lettuce, onion and the dressing in a large bowl. Toss well and top with the 6 anchovies, Parmesan cheese and pepper.
Per serving: 127 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 460 mg sodium; 409 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Vitamin C (55% dv), Folate (39% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique