Romaine Salad with Chicken, Apricots & Mint
This bright and summery entree salad, which uses a savory apricot puree as both marinade and dressing, makes a refreshing change from the standby Chicken Caesar. The salad also works well with sliced peaches or nectarines.
Marinade & dressing
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups loosely packed mint leaves, (about 1 bunch)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (10 cups)
- 6 fresh apricots, or plums, pitted and cut into wedges
- 1 cup loosely packed mint leaves, (about 1/2 bunch), roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- Preheat grill.
- To prepare marinade & dressing: Soak dried apricots in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain and transfer apricots to a food processor. Add 2 cups mint, orange zest, orange juice, honey, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Process until smooth. With the motor running, gradually drizzle in oil. Reserve 1 cup for the dressing.
- To prepare salad: Transfer the remaining marinade to a large sealable plastic bag. Add chicken, seal and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Lightly oil the grill rack (hold a piece of oil-soaked paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grate). Grill the chicken over medium-high heat until no longer pink in the center, 6 to 8 minutes per side. (Discard the marinade.)
- Meanwhile, combine lettuce, apricot (or plum) wedges and chopped mint in a large bowl. Add the reserved dressing and toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Slice the chicken and arrange over the salads. Sprinkle with almonds and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dressing will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To toast almonds: Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F until golden brown and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Toasted almonds will keep, tightly covered, at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 456 calories; 20 g fat (3 g sat, 13 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 10 g fiber; 433 mg sodium; 1281 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (230% daily value), Vitamin C (110% dv), Fiber (41% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 3 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Mother's Day
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)