Romaine Salad (Marouli Salata)
Romaine or Cos lettuce may have originated on the island of Cos.
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ouzo (anise-flavored liqueur), optional
- 1 clove garlic, halved, cut sides scored with a knife
- 12 cups torn, washed romaine lettuce, (2 small heads)
- 1 small bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- Mix vinegar or lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper and ouzo, if using, in a small bowl or jar. Rub a large salad bowl with the scored sides of garlic. Place romaine, scallions, parsley, dill and mint in the bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing for up to 8 hours
Per serving: 46 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (88% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (26% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique