Romaine Salad (Marouli Salata)
Romaine or Cos lettuce may have originated on the island of Cos.
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ouzo (anise-flavored liqueur), optional
- 1 clove garlic, halved, cut sides scored with a knife
- 12 cups torn, washed romaine lettuce, (2 small heads)
- 1 small bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- Mix vinegar or lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper and ouzo, if using, in a small bowl or jar. Rub a large salad bowl with the scored sides of garlic. Place romaine, scallions, parsley, dill and mint in the bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing for up to 8 hours
Per serving: 46 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (88% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (26% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique