Romaine Salad (Marouli Salata)
Romaine or Cos lettuce may have originated on the island of Cos.
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ouzo (anise-flavored liqueur), optional
- 1 clove garlic, halved, cut sides scored with a knife
- 12 cups torn, washed romaine lettuce, (2 small heads)
- 1 small bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- Mix vinegar or lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper and ouzo, if using, in a small bowl or jar. Rub a large salad bowl with the scored sides of garlic. Place romaine, scallions, parsley, dill and mint in the bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing for up to 8 hours
Per serving: 46 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (88% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (26% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique