Romaine Salad (Marouli Salata)
Romaine or Cos lettuce may have originated on the island of Cos.
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ouzo (anise-flavored liqueur), optional
- 1 clove garlic, halved, cut sides scored with a knife
- 12 cups torn, washed romaine lettuce, (2 small heads)
- 1 small bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- Mix vinegar or lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper and ouzo, if using, in a small bowl or jar. Rub a large salad bowl with the scored sides of garlic. Place romaine, scallions, parsley, dill and mint in the bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing for up to 8 hours
Per serving: 46 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (88% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (26% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique