Romaine Salad (Marouli Salata)
Romaine or Cos lettuce may have originated on the island of Cos.
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ouzo (anise-flavored liqueur), optional
- 1 clove garlic, halved, cut sides scored with a knife
- 12 cups torn, washed romaine lettuce, (2 small heads)
- 1 small bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- Mix vinegar or lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper and ouzo, if using, in a small bowl or jar. Rub a large salad bowl with the scored sides of garlic. Place romaine, scallions, parsley, dill and mint in the bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing for up to 8 hours
Per serving: 46 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 40 mg sodium; 225 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (88% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Folate (26% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (84 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)