Romaine, Red Onion & Orange Salad
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Sweet oranges and sharp red onion perk up romaine lettuce in this colorful salad.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 navel oranges
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce or escarole
- Soak onion slices in cold water for 10 minutes; drain. With a sharp knife, peel oranges, removing white pith. Slice.
- Whisk together orange juice, oil, mustard, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in a salad bowl. Add lettuce, onions and orange slices; toss well.
Per serving: 131 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 111 mg sodium; 345 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)