Romaine, Red Onion & Orange Salad
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Sweet oranges and sharp red onion perk up romaine lettuce in this colorful salad.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 navel oranges
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce or escarole
- Soak onion slices in cold water for 10 minutes; drain. With a sharp knife, peel oranges, removing white pith. Slice.
- Whisk together orange juice, oil, mustard, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in a salad bowl. Add lettuce, onions and orange slices; toss well.
Per serving: 131 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 16 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 111 mg sodium; 345 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1992