Rolled Sugar Cookies
These make great holiday cookies when cut into shapes and decorated, but they're also a fine addition to your everyday cookie jar. We've cut the butter from an entire stick to just 2 tablespoons, cooking it until it turns a nutty brown to maximize the rich flavor.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unsifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar, or 1/4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Set a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute, and pour into a mixing bowl. Add sugar (or Splenda) and oil; beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in egg and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Divide the dough in half and press each piece into a disk.
- Working with one disk at a time, roll dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out cookies with small (about 2- to 2 1/2-inch) cookie cutters. Place the cookies about 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies in the upper third of the oven, 1 sheet at a time, until slightly golden on the edges, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not overbake. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the dough through Step 3; wrap well and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. (If frozen, return to room temperature before rolling out.) Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
Per cookie: 53 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 35 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
Nutrition Note: Per cookie with Splenda: 1/2 carbohydrate serving; 49 calories, 6 g carbohydrate.
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation