Rolled Sugar Cookies
These make great holiday cookies when cut into shapes and decorated, but they're also a fine addition to your everyday cookie jar. We've cut the butter from an entire stick to just 2 tablespoons, cooking it until it turns a nutty brown to maximize the rich flavor.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unsifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar, or 1/4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Set a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute, and pour into a mixing bowl. Add sugar (or Splenda) and oil; beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in egg and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Divide the dough in half and press each piece into a disk.
- Working with one disk at a time, roll dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out cookies with small (about 2- to 2 1/2-inch) cookie cutters. Place the cookies about 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies in the upper third of the oven, 1 sheet at a time, until slightly golden on the edges, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not overbake. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the dough through Step 3; wrap well and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. (If frozen, return to room temperature before rolling out.) Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
Per cookie: 53 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 35 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
Nutrition Note: Per cookie with Splenda: 1/2 carbohydrate serving; 49 calories, 6 g carbohydrate.
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique