Rolled Sugar Cookies
These make great holiday cookies when cut into shapes and decorated, but they're also a fine addition to your everyday cookie jar. We've cut the butter from an entire stick to just 2 tablespoons, cooking it until it turns a nutty brown to maximize the rich flavor.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unsifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar, or 1/4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Set a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute, and pour into a mixing bowl. Add sugar (or Splenda) and oil; beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in egg and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Divide the dough in half and press each piece into a disk.
- Working with one disk at a time, roll dough on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out cookies with small (about 2- to 2 1/2-inch) cookie cutters. Place the cookies about 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies in the upper third of the oven, 1 sheet at a time, until slightly golden on the edges, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not overbake. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the dough through Step 3; wrap well and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. (If frozen, return to room temperature before rolling out.) Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
- Storage smarts: For long-term freezer storage, wrap your food in a layer of plastic wrap followed by a layer of foil. The plastic will help prevent freezer burn while the foil will help keep off-odors from seeping into the food.
Per cookie: 53 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 35 mg sodium; 19 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
Nutrition Note: Per cookie with Splenda: 1/2 carbohydrate serving; 49 calories, 6 g carbohydrate.
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique