Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches
These hearty sandwiches may be assembled ahead of time and are perfect for a summer picnic
- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 16-inch-long French baguette, split lengthwise and cut into 4 sections
- 1 bunch watercress, washed, large stems removed (about 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper with oil and garlic in a large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until tender and starting to brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together sour cream (or yogurt), mayonnaise, basil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper; reserve in the refrigerator.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture on both of the bread halves and arrange watercress on the bottom layer. Top with the vegetable mixture and the bread tops.
Per serving: 242 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 7 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 650 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (105% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique