Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches
These hearty sandwiches may be assembled ahead of time and are perfect for a summer picnic
- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 16-inch-long French baguette, split lengthwise and cut into 4 sections
- 1 bunch watercress, washed, large stems removed (about 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper with oil and garlic in a large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until tender and starting to brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together sour cream (or yogurt), mayonnaise, basil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper; reserve in the refrigerator.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture on both of the bread halves and arrange watercress on the bottom layer. Top with the vegetable mixture and the bread tops.
Per serving: 242 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 7 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 650 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (105% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique