Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches
These hearty sandwiches may be assembled ahead of time and are perfect for a summer picnic
- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 16-inch-long French baguette, split lengthwise and cut into 4 sections
- 1 bunch watercress, washed, large stems removed (about 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper with oil and garlic in a large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until tender and starting to brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together sour cream (or yogurt), mayonnaise, basil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper; reserve in the refrigerator.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture on both of the bread halves and arrange watercress on the bottom layer. Top with the vegetable mixture and the bread tops.
Per serving: 242 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 7 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 650 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (105% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique