Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches
These hearty sandwiches may be assembled ahead of time and are perfect for a summer picnic
- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 16-inch-long French baguette, split lengthwise and cut into 4 sections
- 1 bunch watercress, washed, large stems removed (about 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper with oil and garlic in a large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until tender and starting to brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together sour cream (or yogurt), mayonnaise, basil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper; reserve in the refrigerator.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture on both of the bread halves and arrange watercress on the bottom layer. Top with the vegetable mixture and the bread tops.
Per serving: 242 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 7 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 650 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (105% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique