Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches
These hearty sandwiches may be assembled ahead of time and are perfect for a summer picnic
- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 16-inch-long French baguette, split lengthwise and cut into 4 sections
- 1 bunch watercress, washed, large stems removed (about 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper with oil and garlic in a large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until tender and starting to brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together sour cream (or yogurt), mayonnaise, basil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper; reserve in the refrigerator.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture on both of the bread halves and arrange watercress on the bottom layer. Top with the vegetable mixture and the bread tops.
Per serving: 242 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 7 g fiber; 504 mg sodium; 650 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (105% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less