Roasted Vegetable & Linguine Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Take this quick pasta salad to summer potlucks for rave reviews. Try roasting your favorite vegetables or whatever you have on hand.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat linguine
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 3 bunches scallions, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Position racks in lower third and middle of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Break linguine into pieces about 3 inches long. Cook the broken linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water until cool. Press to remove excess water. Transfer to a large bowl, toss with 1 teaspoon oil and set aside.
- Toss asparagus, scallions and bell peppers in a large bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper. Divide the vegetables between 2 large baking sheets, spreading them in an even layer.
- Roast for about 10 minutes, stir the vegetables and switch the positions of the baking sheets. Continue roasting, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and well-browned, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Add the vegetables to the linguine and toss to combine. Add Parmesan and vinegar and toss again.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving
Per serving: 316 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 10 g fiber; 509 mg sodium; 411 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (135% daily value), Selenium (61% dv), Vitamin A (47% dv), Magnesium (26% dv), Folate (24% dv), Iron (18% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1996