Roasted Vegetable & Feta Sandwiches
Inspired by that famous New Orleans sandwich, the muffaletta, this jazzy vegetarian version is actually good for you.
- 1 medium eggplant, (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 round loaf whole-wheat country bread, (about 9 inches across)
- Preheat a grill or the broiler. Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. If using a grill, oil the grill rack (see Tip). Brush 1/2 tablespoon oil over both sides of the slices. Grill or broil the eggplant until lightly browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Chop the eggplant coarsely and mix with red peppers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mash feta with a fork in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, oregano, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil; blend until smooth and spreadable. Season with pepper.
- Slice loaf in half horizontally and scoop out about 1 inch of the soft interior from each half. (Reserve for another use, such as breadcrumbs.) Spread the seasoned feta in the bottom half of the loaf. Spoon the chopped eggplant and peppers over the cheese and replace the bread top firmly. Cut into wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store well wrapped in the refrigerator or a cooler with a cold pack for up to 8 hours.
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 226 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 613 mg sodium; 171 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less