Roasted Vegetable & Feta Sandwiches
Inspired by that famous New Orleans sandwich, the muffaletta, this jazzy vegetarian version is actually good for you.
- 1 medium eggplant, (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 round loaf whole-wheat country bread, (about 9 inches across)
- Preheat a grill or the broiler. Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. If using a grill, oil the grill rack (see Tip). Brush 1/2 tablespoon oil over both sides of the slices. Grill or broil the eggplant until lightly browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Chop the eggplant coarsely and mix with red peppers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mash feta with a fork in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, oregano, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil; blend until smooth and spreadable. Season with pepper.
- Slice loaf in half horizontally and scoop out about 1 inch of the soft interior from each half. (Reserve for another use, such as breadcrumbs.) Spread the seasoned feta in the bottom half of the loaf. Spoon the chopped eggplant and peppers over the cheese and replace the bread top firmly. Cut into wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store well wrapped in the refrigerator or a cooler with a cold pack for up to 8 hours.
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 226 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 613 mg sodium; 171 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less