Roasted Vegetable & Feta Sandwiches
Inspired by that famous New Orleans sandwich, the muffaletta, this jazzy vegetarian version is actually good for you.
- 1 medium eggplant, (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 round loaf whole-wheat country bread, (about 9 inches across)
- Preheat a grill or the broiler. Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. If using a grill, oil the grill rack (see Tip). Brush 1/2 tablespoon oil over both sides of the slices. Grill or broil the eggplant until lightly browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Chop the eggplant coarsely and mix with red peppers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mash feta with a fork in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, oregano, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil; blend until smooth and spreadable. Season with pepper.
- Slice loaf in half horizontally and scoop out about 1 inch of the soft interior from each half. (Reserve for another use, such as breadcrumbs.) Spread the seasoned feta in the bottom half of the loaf. Spoon the chopped eggplant and peppers over the cheese and replace the bread top firmly. Cut into wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store well wrapped in the refrigerator or a cooler with a cold pack for up to 8 hours.
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 226 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 613 mg sodium; 171 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less