Roasted Vegetable & Feta Sandwiches
Inspired by that famous New Orleans sandwich, the muffaletta, this jazzy vegetarian version is actually good for you.
- 1 medium eggplant, (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 round loaf whole-wheat country bread, (about 9 inches across)
- Preheat a grill or the broiler. Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. If using a grill, oil the grill rack (see Tip). Brush 1/2 tablespoon oil over both sides of the slices. Grill or broil the eggplant until lightly browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Chop the eggplant coarsely and mix with red peppers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mash feta with a fork in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, oregano, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil; blend until smooth and spreadable. Season with pepper.
- Slice loaf in half horizontally and scoop out about 1 inch of the soft interior from each half. (Reserve for another use, such as breadcrumbs.) Spread the seasoned feta in the bottom half of the loaf. Spoon the chopped eggplant and peppers over the cheese and replace the bread top firmly. Cut into wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store well wrapped in the refrigerator or a cooler with a cold pack for up to 8 hours.
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 226 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 613 mg sodium; 171 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less