Roasted Tomato Soup
Roasting tomatoes gives them an intense, sweet flavor and also makes them very easy to peel. The soup is then chilled, making a refreshing first course on a hot summer night.
- 8-10 ripe tomatoes, (3 pounds), cut in half and seeded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat broiler. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place tomatoes on the prepared baking sheet, cut-side down. Broil until skins are blistered, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Slip off the skins and chop the tomatoes coarsely.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until the onions are very soft, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and process until smooth; return to the saucepan. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in basil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover loosely and refrigerate until chilled, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 90 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 140 mg sodium; 565 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (103% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour