Roasted Tomato Soup
Roasting tomatoes gives them an intense, sweet flavor and also makes them very easy to peel. The soup is then chilled, making a refreshing first course on a hot summer night.
- 8-10 ripe tomatoes, (3 pounds), cut in half and seeded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat broiler. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place tomatoes on the prepared baking sheet, cut-side down. Broil until skins are blistered, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Slip off the skins and chop the tomatoes coarsely.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until the onions are very soft, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and process until smooth; return to the saucepan. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in basil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover loosely and refrigerate until chilled, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 90 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 140 mg sodium; 565 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (103% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour