Roasted Tomato Soup
Roasting tomatoes gives them an intense, sweet flavor and also makes them very easy to peel. The soup is then chilled, making a refreshing first course on a hot summer night.
- 8-10 ripe tomatoes, (3 pounds), cut in half and seeded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat broiler. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place tomatoes on the prepared baking sheet, cut-side down. Broil until skins are blistered, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Slip off the skins and chop the tomatoes coarsely.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until the onions are very soft, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and process until smooth; return to the saucepan. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in basil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover loosely and refrigerate until chilled, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 90 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 140 mg sodium; 565 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (103% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)