Roasted Tomato & Preserved Lemon Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Slow-roasted cherry tomatoes provide a sweet counterbalance for salty, tart preserved lemon in this simple sauce. Toss with pasta or try it as a spread on crostini. For this recipe, you can use the yellow peel and/or the pulp from a preserved lemon. Just be sure to rinse the lemon well before using and remove any seeds from the pulp.
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced rinsed preserved lemon rind and/or pulp
You Might Also Like
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Toss tomatoes, onion, oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread on a large, rimmed nonreactive baking sheet (see Note). Roast, stirring every 30 minutes, until the tomatoes are very soft, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir preserved lemon into the roasted tomato mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Note: A nonreactive pan—stainless steel, enamel-coated or glass—is necessary when cooking acidic foods, such as lemons or tomatoes, to prevent the food from reacting with the pan. Reactive pans, such as aluminum and cast-iron, can impart an off color and/or off flavor in acidic foods.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 68 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 206 mg sodium; 395 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011