Roasted Tomato & Preserved Lemon Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Slow-roasted cherry tomatoes provide a sweet counterbalance for salty, tart preserved lemon in this simple sauce. Toss with pasta or try it as a spread on crostini. For this recipe, you can use the yellow peel and/or the pulp from a preserved lemon. Just be sure to rinse the lemon well before using and remove any seeds from the pulp.
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced rinsed preserved lemon rind and/or pulp
You Might Also Like
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Toss tomatoes, onion, oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread on a large, rimmed nonreactive baking sheet (see Note). Roast, stirring every 30 minutes, until the tomatoes are very soft, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir preserved lemon into the roasted tomato mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Note: A nonreactive pan—stainless steel, enamel-coated or glass—is necessary when cooking acidic foods, such as lemons or tomatoes, to prevent the food from reacting with the pan. Reactive pans, such as aluminum and cast-iron, can impart an off color and/or off flavor in acidic foods.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 68 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 206 mg sodium; 395 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 2011