Roasted Tomato & Preserved Lemon Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Slow-roasted cherry tomatoes provide a sweet counterbalance for salty, tart preserved lemon in this simple sauce. Toss with pasta or try it as a spread on crostini. For this recipe, you can use the yellow peel and/or the pulp from a preserved lemon. Just be sure to rinse the lemon well before using and remove any seeds from the pulp.
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced rinsed preserved lemon rind and/or pulp
You Might Also Like
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Toss tomatoes, onion, oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread on a large, rimmed nonreactive baking sheet (see Note). Roast, stirring every 30 minutes, until the tomatoes are very soft, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir preserved lemon into the roasted tomato mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Note: A nonreactive pan—stainless steel, enamel-coated or glass—is necessary when cooking acidic foods, such as lemons or tomatoes, to prevent the food from reacting with the pan. Reactive pans, such as aluminum and cast-iron, can impart an off color and/or off flavor in acidic foods.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 68 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 206 mg sodium; 395 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011