Roasted Tomato & Preserved Lemon Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Slow-roasted cherry tomatoes provide a sweet counterbalance for salty, tart preserved lemon in this simple sauce. Toss with pasta or try it as a spread on crostini. For this recipe, you can use the yellow peel and/or the pulp from a preserved lemon. Just be sure to rinse the lemon well before using and remove any seeds from the pulp.
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced rinsed preserved lemon rind and/or pulp
You Might Also Like
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Toss tomatoes, onion, oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread on a large, rimmed nonreactive baking sheet (see Note). Roast, stirring every 30 minutes, until the tomatoes are very soft, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir preserved lemon into the roasted tomato mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Note: A nonreactive pan—stainless steel, enamel-coated or glass—is necessary when cooking acidic foods, such as lemons or tomatoes, to prevent the food from reacting with the pan. Reactive pans, such as aluminum and cast-iron, can impart an off color and/or off flavor in acidic foods.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 68 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 206 mg sodium; 395 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011