Roasted Tomato & Preserved Lemon Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Slow-roasted cherry tomatoes provide a sweet counterbalance for salty, tart preserved lemon in this simple sauce. Toss with pasta or try it as a spread on crostini. For this recipe, you can use the yellow peel and/or the pulp from a preserved lemon. Just be sure to rinse the lemon well before using and remove any seeds from the pulp.
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced rinsed preserved lemon rind and/or pulp
You Might Also Like
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Toss tomatoes, onion, oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spread on a large, rimmed nonreactive baking sheet (see Note). Roast, stirring every 30 minutes, until the tomatoes are very soft, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir preserved lemon into the roasted tomato mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Note: A nonreactive pan—stainless steel, enamel-coated or glass—is necessary when cooking acidic foods, such as lemons or tomatoes, to prevent the food from reacting with the pan. Reactive pans, such as aluminum and cast-iron, can impart an off color and/or off flavor in acidic foods.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 68 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 206 mg sodium; 395 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2011