Roasted Tomato-Bread Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Tomatoes, onions and garlic develop a deep, rich flavor when roasted. A mix of different colored cherry tomatoes will add a playful note. This soup is adapted from a recipe in Amy Goldman’s book The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table (Bloomsbury USA, 2008).
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced garlic, plus 1 whole clove, peeled and halved
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 6 slices whole-grain country bread
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss onions, oil, salt and pepper in a 9-by-13-inch pan. Roast the onions, stirring once or twice, until starting to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 cup garlic and continue roasting, stirring once, until the tomatoes are falling apart and beginning to brown in spots, about 20 minutes more.
- Transfer the onion-tomato mixture to a large saucepan. Add broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place bread on a large baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 10 minutes. Rub both sides of the toasted bread with the halved garlic clove. (Discard remaining garlic.)
- To serve, place a piece of toasted bread in a shallow soup bowl. Ladle about 1 cup soup over the bread. Sprinkle with basil and cheese and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 213 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 594 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Father's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- July/August 2010