Roasted Tomato-Bread Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Tomatoes, onions and garlic develop a deep, rich flavor when roasted. A mix of different colored cherry tomatoes will add a playful note. This soup is adapted from a recipe in Amy Goldman’s book The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table (Bloomsbury USA, 2008).
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced garlic, plus 1 whole clove, peeled and halved
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 6 slices whole-grain country bread
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss onions, oil, salt and pepper in a 9-by-13-inch pan. Roast the onions, stirring once or twice, until starting to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 cup garlic and continue roasting, stirring once, until the tomatoes are falling apart and beginning to brown in spots, about 20 minutes more.
- Transfer the onion-tomato mixture to a large saucepan. Add broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place bread on a large baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 10 minutes. Rub both sides of the toasted bread with the halved garlic clove. (Discard remaining garlic.)
- To serve, place a piece of toasted bread in a shallow soup bowl. Ladle about 1 cup soup over the bread. Sprinkle with basil and cheese and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 213 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 594 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Father's Day
- July/August 2010