Roasted Tomato-Bread Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Tomatoes, onions and garlic develop a deep, rich flavor when roasted. A mix of different colored cherry tomatoes will add a playful note. This soup is adapted from a recipe in Amy Goldman’s book The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table (Bloomsbury USA, 2008).
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced garlic, plus 1 whole clove, peeled and halved
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 6 slices whole-grain country bread
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss onions, oil, salt and pepper in a 9-by-13-inch pan. Roast the onions, stirring once or twice, until starting to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 cup garlic and continue roasting, stirring once, until the tomatoes are falling apart and beginning to brown in spots, about 20 minutes more.
- Transfer the onion-tomato mixture to a large saucepan. Add broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place bread on a large baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 10 minutes. Rub both sides of the toasted bread with the halved garlic clove. (Discard remaining garlic.)
- To serve, place a piece of toasted bread in a shallow soup bowl. Ladle about 1 cup soup over the bread. Sprinkle with basil and cheese and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 213 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 594 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Father's Day
- July/August 2010