Roasted Tomato-Bread Soup
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Tomatoes, onions and garlic develop a deep, rich flavor when roasted. A mix of different colored cherry tomatoes will add a playful note. This soup is adapted from a recipe in Amy Goldman’s book The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table (Bloomsbury USA, 2008).
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced garlic, plus 1 whole clove, peeled and halved
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 6 slices whole-grain country bread
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 6 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss onions, oil, salt and pepper in a 9-by-13-inch pan. Roast the onions, stirring once or twice, until starting to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 cup garlic and continue roasting, stirring once, until the tomatoes are falling apart and beginning to brown in spots, about 20 minutes more.
- Transfer the onion-tomato mixture to a large saucepan. Add broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place bread on a large baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 10 minutes. Rub both sides of the toasted bread with the halved garlic clove. (Discard remaining garlic.)
- To serve, place a piece of toasted bread in a shallow soup bowl. Ladle about 1 cup soup over the bread. Sprinkle with basil and cheese and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 213 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 594 mg sodium; 564 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Vitamin A (22% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Father's Day
- July/August 2010