Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Balsamic Drizzle
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
A delicious tangy-sweet balsamic-and-honey reduction looks dramatic over roasted sweet potato wedges.
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, (about 3 medium), peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Cut sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Place on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with oil and toss well. Spread out in a single layer. Bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 25 to 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine vinegar and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until syrupy and reduced to 1/3 cup, 12 to 15 minutes. (Watch the syrup carefully during the last few minutes of reducing to prevent burning.) Swirl in butter. Drizzle the sauce over the sweet potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The balsamic drizzle (Step 2) will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop, adding a little water if the syrup has thickened too much, before drizzling over the roasted sweet potatoes.
Per serving: 212 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 197 mg sodium; 359 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (420% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006