Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Balsamic Drizzle
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
A delicious tangy-sweet balsamic-and-honey reduction looks dramatic over roasted sweet potato wedges.
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, (about 3 medium), peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Cut sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Place on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with oil and toss well. Spread out in a single layer. Bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 25 to 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine vinegar and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until syrupy and reduced to 1/3 cup, 12 to 15 minutes. (Watch the syrup carefully during the last few minutes of reducing to prevent burning.) Swirl in butter. Drizzle the sauce over the sweet potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The balsamic drizzle (Step 2) will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop, adding a little water if the syrup has thickened too much, before drizzling over the roasted sweet potatoes.
Per serving: 212 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 197 mg sodium; 359 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (420% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- December 2005/January 2006