Roasted Squash & Fennel with Thyme
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
We have only one word for this recipe: magical. As the vegetables roast in the oven, the fennel develops sweet, caramel flavors and the summer squash is infused with the garlic. Serve it with grilled pork chops or chicken.
- 2 small summer squash, (about 12 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fennel bulb, (about 1 small bulb), plus 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Quarter squash lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Combine the squash with sliced fennel, oil, thyme, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread the mixture evenly on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and roast until the vegetables are tender and the fennel is beginning to brown, about 5 minutes more. Stir in fennel fronds and serve.
Per serving: 66 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 388 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- July/August 2009