Roasted Snap Peas with Shallots
Roasting brings out a caramelized complexity in the already sweet peas. A scattering of crumbled blue cheese would make a savory addition or substitution for the bacon.
- 1 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed (about 4 cups)
- 1 large shallot, halved and thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Toss peas, shallot, oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Transfer to a baking sheet and spread in a single layer. Roast in the oven, stirring once halfway through, until the peas are tender and beginning to brown slightly, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve warm, sprinkled with bacon if desired.
Per serving: 83 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique