Roasted Shallot Sauce
A heady-tasting brown sauce, this is a good complement to strong-flavored meats, such as beef or pork, as well as roast turkey or chicken.
- 16 medium shallots
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Peel shallots and remove the ends. Place them in a glass dish and add oil, turning them until they are all lightly coated. Cover the dish tightly with foil and place in the oven. Roast, turning them occasionally so that they don’t burn, until shallots are dark, soft and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
- Bring broth to a rolling boil, then place it in blender or food processor. Add shallots and puree until thick and smooth. Season with salt (if desired) and freshly ground pepper.
Per tablespoon: 15 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 17 mg sodium; 53 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)