Roasted Savoy Cabbage with Black Bean-Garlic Sauce
Roasting cabbage brings out its rich, nutty flavor. We think Savoy is particularly beautiful, but green cabbage works as well.
- 1 head Savoy cabbage, (about 1 1/2 pounds), cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Shao Hsing rice wine, or dry sherry (see Tip)
- 4 teaspoons black bean-garlic sauce, (see Tip)
- 1 bunch scallions, minced
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 5 dashes hot sauce, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Toss cabbage and canola oil in a large roasting pan and spread out in an even layer. Roast until beginning to wilt and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Combine rice wine (or sherry) and black bean sauce in a small bowl; drizzle over the cabbage and toss. Continue roasting until tender, about 5 minutes more. Toss with scallions, vinegar, sesame oil and hot sauce until combined.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. Both are available in Asian specialty markets and some supermarkets in the Asian section.
- Black bean-garlic sauce is made from fermented black beans, garlic and rice wine.
Per serving: 123 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 485 mg sodium; 406 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Folate (32% dv), high omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)