Roasted Savoy Cabbage with Black Bean-Garlic Sauce
Roasting cabbage brings out its rich, nutty flavor. We think Savoy is particularly beautiful, but green cabbage works as well.
- 1 head Savoy cabbage, (about 1 1/2 pounds), cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Shao Hsing rice wine, or dry sherry (see Tip)
- 4 teaspoons black bean-garlic sauce, (see Tip)
- 1 bunch scallions, minced
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 5 dashes hot sauce, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Toss cabbage and canola oil in a large roasting pan and spread out in an even layer. Roast until beginning to wilt and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Combine rice wine (or sherry) and black bean sauce in a small bowl; drizzle over the cabbage and toss. Continue roasting until tender, about 5 minutes more. Toss with scallions, vinegar, sesame oil and hot sauce until combined.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. Both are available in Asian specialty markets and some supermarkets in the Asian section.
- Black bean-garlic sauce is made from fermented black beans, garlic and rice wine.
Per serving: 123 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 485 mg sodium; 406 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Folate (32% dv), high omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable