Roasted Savoy Cabbage with Black Bean-Garlic Sauce
Roasting cabbage brings out its rich, nutty flavor. We think Savoy is particularly beautiful, but green cabbage works as well.
- 1 head Savoy cabbage, (about 1 1/2 pounds), cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Shao Hsing rice wine, or dry sherry (see Tip)
- 4 teaspoons black bean-garlic sauce, (see Tip)
- 1 bunch scallions, minced
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 5 dashes hot sauce, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Toss cabbage and canola oil in a large roasting pan and spread out in an even layer. Roast until beginning to wilt and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Combine rice wine (or sherry) and black bean sauce in a small bowl; drizzle over the cabbage and toss. Continue roasting until tender, about 5 minutes more. Toss with scallions, vinegar, sesame oil and hot sauce until combined.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. Both are available in Asian specialty markets and some supermarkets in the Asian section.
- Black bean-garlic sauce is made from fermented black beans, garlic and rice wine.
Per serving: 123 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 485 mg sodium; 406 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Folate (32% dv), high omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation