Roasted Savoy Cabbage with Black Bean-Garlic Sauce
Roasting cabbage brings out its rich, nutty flavor. We think Savoy is particularly beautiful, but green cabbage works as well.
- 1 head Savoy cabbage, (about 1 1/2 pounds), cored and cut into 1-inch squares
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Shao Hsing rice wine, or dry sherry (see Tip)
- 4 teaspoons black bean-garlic sauce, (see Tip)
- 1 bunch scallions, minced
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 5 dashes hot sauce, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Toss cabbage and canola oil in a large roasting pan and spread out in an even layer. Roast until beginning to wilt and brown, about 15 minutes.
- Combine rice wine (or sherry) and black bean sauce in a small bowl; drizzle over the cabbage and toss. Continue roasting until tender, about 5 minutes more. Toss with scallions, vinegar, sesame oil and hot sauce until combined.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Shao Hsing (or Shaoxing) is a seasoned rice wine. Both are available in Asian specialty markets and some supermarkets in the Asian section.
- Black bean-garlic sauce is made from fermented black beans, garlic and rice wine.
Per serving: 123 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 485 mg sodium; 406 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Folate (32% dv), high omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable