Roasted Root Vegetables with Chermoula
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Here, a medley of root vegetables and winter squash are roasted with chermoula (also spelled charmoula), a quintessential Moroccan spice combination. (Any combination will work in this dish; start with about 12 cups of peeled vegetable pieces.) Be sure to peel turnips well; their skin is thicker and more fibrous than other root vegetables'.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika, preferably sweet Hungarian
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 ounces peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into 1-inch chunks (see Shopping Tip)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place oil, garlic, paprika, cumin and salt in a food processor or blender and pulse or blend until smooth.
- Place potato, sweet potato, turnip, rutabaga, carrots and squash in a roasting pan large enough to accommodate the pieces in a single layer. Toss with the spiced oil mixture until well combined.
- Roast the vegetables, stirring once or twice, until tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping tip: Look for already peeled, seeded and quartered butternut squash in the prepared-vegetable section of the produce department.
Per serving: 235 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 461 mg sodium; 844 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (200% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 2008
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)