Roasted Root Vegetables with Chermoula
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Here, a medley of root vegetables and winter squash are roasted with chermoula (also spelled charmoula), a quintessential Moroccan spice combination. (Any combination will work in this dish; start with about 12 cups of peeled vegetable pieces.) Be sure to peel turnips well; their skin is thicker and more fibrous than other root vegetables'.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika, preferably sweet Hungarian
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 ounces peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into 1-inch chunks (see Shopping Tip)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place oil, garlic, paprika, cumin and salt in a food processor or blender and pulse or blend until smooth.
- Place potato, sweet potato, turnip, rutabaga, carrots and squash in a roasting pan large enough to accommodate the pieces in a single layer. Toss with the spiced oil mixture until well combined.
- Roast the vegetables, stirring once or twice, until tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping tip: Look for already peeled, seeded and quartered butternut squash in the prepared-vegetable section of the produce department.
Per serving: 235 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 461 mg sodium; 844 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (200% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- September/October 2008