Roasted Root Vegetables with Chermoula
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Here, a medley of root vegetables and winter squash are roasted with chermoula (also spelled charmoula), a quintessential Moroccan spice combination. (Any combination will work in this dish; start with about 12 cups of peeled vegetable pieces.) Be sure to peel turnips well; their skin is thicker and more fibrous than other root vegetables'.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika, preferably sweet Hungarian
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 ounces peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into 1-inch chunks (see Shopping Tip)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place oil, garlic, paprika, cumin and salt in a food processor or blender and pulse or blend until smooth.
- Place potato, sweet potato, turnip, rutabaga, carrots and squash in a roasting pan large enough to accommodate the pieces in a single layer. Toss with the spiced oil mixture until well combined.
- Roast the vegetables, stirring once or twice, until tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping tip: Look for already peeled, seeded and quartered butternut squash in the prepared-vegetable section of the produce department.
Per serving: 235 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 461 mg sodium; 844 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (200% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008