Roasted Root Vegetables with Chermoula
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Here, a medley of root vegetables and winter squash are roasted with chermoula (also spelled charmoula), a quintessential Moroccan spice combination. (Any combination will work in this dish; start with about 12 cups of peeled vegetable pieces.) Be sure to peel turnips well; their skin is thicker and more fibrous than other root vegetables'.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika, preferably sweet Hungarian
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 ounces peeled and seeded butternut squash, cut into 1-inch chunks (see Shopping Tip)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place oil, garlic, paprika, cumin and salt in a food processor or blender and pulse or blend until smooth.
- Place potato, sweet potato, turnip, rutabaga, carrots and squash in a roasting pan large enough to accommodate the pieces in a single layer. Toss with the spiced oil mixture until well combined.
- Roast the vegetables, stirring once or twice, until tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping tip: Look for already peeled, seeded and quartered butternut squash in the prepared-vegetable section of the produce department.
Per serving: 235 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 7 g fiber; 461 mg sodium; 844 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (200% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2008