Roasted Root Vegetables
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Roasted carrots, red potatoes and shallots are a terrific accompaniment to any roast meat or poultry dish. For a vegetarian supper, serve over Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta.
- 8 carrots, peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into 4-inch sticks (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, (6 medium), scrubbed and cut into wedges
- 12 large shallots, peeled, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Place oven racks at the highest and lowest positions. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Toss carrots, potatoes, shallots, oil, salt and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast the vegetables on the highest rack for 1 hour, stirring once. Increase the oven temperature to 425°F. Stir the vegetables again and transfer to the lowest rack. Roast until the vegetables are browned and crisp, about 20 minutes more, stirring once. Toss with balsamic vinegar and transfer to a serving dish.
Per serving: 184 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 457 mg sodium; 955 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (286% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995