Roasted Root Vegetables
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Roasted carrots, red potatoes and shallots are a terrific accompaniment to any roast meat or poultry dish. For a vegetarian supper, serve over Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta.
- 8 carrots, peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into 4-inch sticks (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, (6 medium), scrubbed and cut into wedges
- 12 large shallots, peeled, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Place oven racks at the highest and lowest positions. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Toss carrots, potatoes, shallots, oil, salt and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast the vegetables on the highest rack for 1 hour, stirring once. Increase the oven temperature to 425°F. Stir the vegetables again and transfer to the lowest rack. Roast until the vegetables are browned and crisp, about 20 minutes more, stirring once. Toss with balsamic vinegar and transfer to a serving dish.
Per serving: 184 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 457 mg sodium; 955 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (286% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995