Roasted Root Vegetables
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Roasted carrots, red potatoes and shallots are a terrific accompaniment to any roast meat or poultry dish. For a vegetarian supper, serve over Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta.
- 8 carrots, peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into 4-inch sticks (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, (6 medium), scrubbed and cut into wedges
- 12 large shallots, peeled, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Place oven racks at the highest and lowest positions. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Toss carrots, potatoes, shallots, oil, salt and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast the vegetables on the highest rack for 1 hour, stirring once. Increase the oven temperature to 425°F. Stir the vegetables again and transfer to the lowest rack. Roast until the vegetables are browned and crisp, about 20 minutes more, stirring once. Toss with balsamic vinegar and transfer to a serving dish.
Per serving: 184 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 457 mg sodium; 955 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (286% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995