Roasted Root Vegetables
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Roasted carrots, red potatoes and shallots are a terrific accompaniment to any roast meat or poultry dish. For a vegetarian supper, serve over Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta.
- 8 carrots, peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into 4-inch sticks (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, (6 medium), scrubbed and cut into wedges
- 12 large shallots, peeled, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Place oven racks at the highest and lowest positions. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Toss carrots, potatoes, shallots, oil, salt and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast the vegetables on the highest rack for 1 hour, stirring once. Increase the oven temperature to 425°F. Stir the vegetables again and transfer to the lowest rack. Roast until the vegetables are browned and crisp, about 20 minutes more, stirring once. Toss with balsamic vinegar and transfer to a serving dish.
Per serving: 184 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 457 mg sodium; 955 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (286% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 1995