Roasted Root Vegetables
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Roasted carrots, red potatoes and shallots are a terrific accompaniment to any roast meat or poultry dish. For a vegetarian supper, serve over Creamy Gorgonzola Polenta.
- 8 carrots, peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into 4-inch sticks (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, (6 medium), scrubbed and cut into wedges
- 12 large shallots, peeled, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Place oven racks at the highest and lowest positions. Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Toss carrots, potatoes, shallots, oil, salt and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast the vegetables on the highest rack for 1 hour, stirring once. Increase the oven temperature to 425°F. Stir the vegetables again and transfer to the lowest rack. Roast until the vegetables are browned and crisp, about 20 minutes more, stirring once. Toss with balsamic vinegar and transfer to a serving dish.
Per serving: 184 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 457 mg sodium; 955 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (286% daily value), Vitamin C (31% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)