Roasted Rhubarb Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2011
Rhubarb roasted for just a few minutes is a tart topping for a mixed green salad with raisins, walnuts and goat cheese.
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces fresh rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese or feta
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss rhubarb with sugar in a medium bowl until well coated; let stand, stirring once or twice, for about 10 minutes. Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, oil, shallot, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add greens; toss to coat with the dressing. Divide the greens among 4 plates. Top with the rhubarb, goat cheese (or feta), walnuts and raisins.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 197 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 211 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (21% daily value), Vitamin C (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2011