I basically cleaned out my fridge on this one, I didn't have any pine nuts, but had some left over zucchini and portabella mushrooms which I diced up, sauteed, and put in the filling. I omitted the red pepper in the filling and just used some crushed red pepper for seasoning. This was one of the most amazing dishes I've ever made, my husband said I should open a healthy living restaurant after trying these...and he's from New Jersey, grew up on eating stuffed peppers, so this is a real compliment!
Roasted Red Peppers Stuffed with Kale & Rice
You can vary the filling by substituting robust mustard greens or collards, or milder greens, such as spinach, escarole or Swiss chard. (Cook the greens until just tender in Step 2.)
12 Reviews for Roasted Red Peppers Stuffed with Kale & Rice
I love this recipe, it's one of my favorites and I make it as much as I can (or, when red peppers are on sale...). However, I modified it, with the rice I use onions and jalapenos only, I skip the chopped red pepper. I skip the pine nuts and kale. And in the last 5 minutes after taking the foil off, I put a slice of pepper jack cheese over each pepper. IT'S SO DELICIOUS.
This recipe was a hit ...my husband loved .....in fact we made it two days in a row (his request). However second time I added raisins.....wow....made a nice difference in fact better, sweetness was good. Plus I added grated lite cheddar to mix....yum
Wowzer! This was delicious. I substituted quinoa for the brown rice but otherwise made the recipe exactly as written. My 17 year old initially wrinkled his nose when he learned no meat was included in the dish, but then inhaled two servings and told me he would make frequent trips home from college just so he could eat my home cooked meals. Success!
Delicious, although I have a few suggestions.
- Boiling the red peppers initially will cut down on the baking time and the knife pressure (had difficult time cutting).
- Not enough stuffing overall. Increase rice from 3/4 cups to 1 cup
- Did not used dice red pepper, too much pepper!
- Used raw sunflower seeds and raw pumpkin seeds instead of pine nuts to save on time searching in store.
- I've never had kale and didn't want to risk it so I used spinach.
- I used frozen Whole Grain Rice from whole foods instead of brown rice to cut down on time.
Overall, delicious! Will be making again.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)