Roasted Red Pepper Spread
From EatingWell: July/August 1996
Spread this roasted red pepper mayonnaise on grilled chicken or grilled pork sandwiches. It is also quite good on grilled zucchini.
- 1 roasted red pepper, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Blot dry the roasted red pepper. Chop to a paste and stir into mayonnaise. Mash garlic to a paste and add to the mayonnaise along with scallions, tomato paste, lemon juice and cumin.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To oven-roast bell peppers:
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Arrange whole bell peppers on the rack.
- 2. Roast peppers in the center of the oven, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in places, 30 to 40 minutes.
- 3. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam for 10 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- 4. With a paring knife, remove stems, skins and seeds. If serving as antipasto, combine accumulated juices with peppers.
Per tablespoon: 31 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 131 mg sodium; 35 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value).
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1996