Roasted Red Pepper Spread
From EatingWell: July/August 1996
Spread this roasted red pepper mayonnaise on grilled chicken or grilled pork sandwiches. It is also quite good on grilled zucchini.
- 1 roasted red pepper, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Blot dry the roasted red pepper. Chop to a paste and stir into mayonnaise. Mash garlic to a paste and add to the mayonnaise along with scallions, tomato paste, lemon juice and cumin.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To oven-roast bell peppers:
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place a wire rack on a large baking sheet. Arrange whole bell peppers on the rack.
- 2. Roast peppers in the center of the oven, turning occasionally with tongs, until blackened in places, 30 to 40 minutes.
- 3. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam for 10 minutes. Uncover and let cool.
- 4. With a paring knife, remove stems, skins and seeds. If serving as antipasto, combine accumulated juices with peppers.
Per tablespoon: 31 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 131 mg sodium; 35 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value).
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1996