Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Serve this tangy bright red pepper sauce over fresh asparagus for a sure taste of summer.
- 2 small red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place peppers directly over the flame of a gas burner or under a preheated broiler. Roast, turning often, until black all over, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Slip off the skins, cut away the stems, slit the peppers open and remove seeds.
- Puree the peppers in a food processor. (You should have about 1/2 cup puree.) Force the puree through a fine strainer set over a small bowl, using a rubber spatula; discard solids. Whisk in tomato paste, oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per tablespoon: 23 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 61 mg sodium; 71 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value).
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1996