Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Serve this tangy bright red pepper sauce over fresh asparagus for a sure taste of summer.
- 2 small red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place peppers directly over the flame of a gas burner or under a preheated broiler. Roast, turning often, until black all over, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Slip off the skins, cut away the stems, slit the peppers open and remove seeds.
- Puree the peppers in a food processor. (You should have about 1/2 cup puree.) Force the puree through a fine strainer set over a small bowl, using a rubber spatula; discard solids. Whisk in tomato paste, oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per tablespoon: 23 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 61 mg sodium; 71 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value).
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1996