Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Serve this tangy bright red pepper sauce over fresh asparagus for a sure taste of summer.
- 2 small red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place peppers directly over the flame of a gas burner or under a preheated broiler. Roast, turning often, until black all over, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Slip off the skins, cut away the stems, slit the peppers open and remove seeds.
- Puree the peppers in a food processor. (You should have about 1/2 cup puree.) Force the puree through a fine strainer set over a small bowl, using a rubber spatula; discard solids. Whisk in tomato paste, oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per tablespoon: 23 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 61 mg sodium; 71 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value).
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- March/April 1996