Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Serve this tangy bright red pepper sauce over fresh asparagus for a sure taste of summer.
- 2 small red bell peppers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place peppers directly over the flame of a gas burner or under a preheated broiler. Roast, turning often, until black all over, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Slip off the skins, cut away the stems, slit the peppers open and remove seeds.
- Puree the peppers in a food processor. (You should have about 1/2 cup puree.) Force the puree through a fine strainer set over a small bowl, using a rubber spatula; discard solids. Whisk in tomato paste, oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per tablespoon: 23 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 61 mg sodium; 71 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value).
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1996