Roasted Red Pepper Rouille
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Rouille is a red chile pepper mayonnaise, traditionally served as an accompaniment to fish stews. Try this roasted pepper version on grilled or steamed fish or as a dip for raw fennel.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine garlic, water and saffron in a small saucepan. Cover and cook over very low heat just until steaming, about 2 minutes. (Alternatively, in a small microwave-safe bowl, combine garlic, water and saffron. Cover with plastic wrap, prick with a knife to vent and microwave on medium for 1 minute.) Remove from heat and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Combine garlic mixture, roasted red peppers, mayonnaise, salt and cayenne in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Per tablespoon: 29 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 228 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1997