Roasted Red Pepper Rouille
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Rouille is a red chile pepper mayonnaise, traditionally served as an accompaniment to fish stews. Try this roasted pepper version on grilled or steamed fish or as a dip for raw fennel.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine garlic, water and saffron in a small saucepan. Cover and cook over very low heat just until steaming, about 2 minutes. (Alternatively, in a small microwave-safe bowl, combine garlic, water and saffron. Cover with plastic wrap, prick with a knife to vent and microwave on medium for 1 minute.) Remove from heat and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Combine garlic mixture, roasted red peppers, mayonnaise, salt and cayenne in a blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Per tablespoon: 29 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 228 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997