Roasted Pineapple Shortcakes
Shortcake isn't just for strawberries. Roasted pineapple and macadamia nuts give this version a Hawaiian twist and perfume the kitchen with a tropical fragrance. Leftover shortcakes freeze well and the pineapple is also great on its own.
Roasted Pineapple Shortcakes
- 1 cup Vanilla Cream, (recipe follows) or “lite” frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, or equivalent buttermilk powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Roasted Pineapple Filling
- 1/2 cup unsalted chopped macadamia nuts, or unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 medium pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into bite-size triangles
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Prepare Vanilla Cream, if using.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- To prepare shortcakes: Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and stir with a fork until the dough just comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; gather together and knead gently 5 or 6 times. Roll to a 1/2-inch thickness and cut out rounds with a 3 1/4-inch cookie cutter (see Equipment Tip). Reroll scraps and cut to make 12 shortcakes total. Place the shortcakes on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake the shortcakes until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To prepare filling: Spread nuts (or coconut) in a small baking pan and toast in the oven until light golden, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine pineapple, pineapple juice, honey, ginger and cloves in a large bowl; toss to coat. Spread on the prepared baking sheet. Roast at 450° until the pineapple is lightly browned around the edges and the juices are syrupy, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- To serve: Split the shortcakes with a serrated knife and place the bottoms on dessert plates. Top each with the pineapple, nuts (or coconut) and a dollop of Vanilla Cream (or whipped topping) and replace the tops. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the shortcakes (Steps 2-5) in an airtight container for up to 8 hours.
- If you don't have a 3 1/4-inch cookie cutter, you can use a clean 6-ounce can, such as a tuna or salmon can.
- To peel a pineapple:
- Using a sharp knife, cut off the skin. To remove eyes, following the spiral pattern, cut grooves along the diagonal on either side of the eyes.
Per serving: 249 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 168 mg sodium; 150 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat (saturated)
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more